Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Shocking Treatment Of Paraplegic

Watching MSNBC for a few minutes I was shocked to see the horrendous treatment of a paraplegic man by law enforcement in Florida.

I have said more than once that one reason I'm blogging about walking is that the vast majority of us can actually walk, as opposed to more physically taxing forms of exercise that many are not ready to participate in. Here is an article about a man who is confined to a wheelchair and dumped out of it by a deputy:


Digital Journal


I personally believe that this "deputy" should never be allowed to work in law enforcement in the United States (or anywhere, for that matter) again.

Here are comments about the article
--

by Cynthia T. [Picasso] #1

I watched this on the news this morning.
I found it shocking the way this man was dumped onto the floor. Then for the other deputies to search him while he was on the floor.

For all those who were a part of this they need to be held accountable and punished for it.


by Pamela Jean (GotTheScoop) #2

What on earth is happening to people!? I saw this video on my local news this morning as well and just thought that obviously the world is just losing it. What on earth could possess anyone to just dump a paraplegic onto the floor like a piece of trash, and then think they shouldn't be fired like immediately is beyond me.

The guy dumped on the floor stated: “There’s a lot of things that can set it right,” Sterner said. “One would be the sheriff apologizing to me personally. The next thing that can happen is the state’s attorney can get involved, and then [Florida Gov.] Charlie Christ can get involved and then somebody else that leads this country can get involved.”

Wow, now there is a really incredible guy. He isn't threatening to sue, he isn't working the system, he is just trying to use this incident to wake people up to what is happening in this world.

by Bob Ewing #3

[name edited] and she is now suspended without pay while investigators look into the incident.
this is a person unfit to be a police officer.

--

This video link is from MSN Australia:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=379241

Chris Rock made a harsh joke about having a reason (or feeling like you have a reason) to push an old man down a flight of stairs (or something close to that) and he emphasized that you may feel that way, BUT DON'T DO IT. One point I believe he was making was about the frustration level that you can reach with someone and how it doesn't matter how frustrated you get, there are some things you simply CANNOT DO to someone. I don't know if this law enforcement "professional" was frustrated or simply tragically oblivious, but her behavior was so wrong.

Do we take our health for granted? I am happy to be able to walk and not have any serious issues beyond weight. I would hate to be at the mercy of people like this "officer" because I didn't have the ability to walk.

0 comments: